Europe’s Best Kept Secret
Did you know you could get a free night in a luxury hotel in Germany, keys to your new car, a full tank of gas, insurance to drive for 2 weeks in Europe AND a discount on your car purchase all at the same time? And that’s not even all of it!
One of the best kept secrets in the auto world is what’s called European Delivery. Essentially, you buy or lease a car through your local American dealership but you pick it up at the factory in Europe. And you actually get to drive your brand new car around the continent until you drop it off at an approved checkpoint. From there, they’ll ship your car to the US and you can pick it up from a local dealership.
I did this with Mercedes and it was an AMAZING experience. I leased a CLA 250 and flew to Stuttgart, Germany to pick it up. From there, we drove around Bavaria and through the German Alpine Road, ending the journey in Munich where we dropped off the car and flew home. (Read more about that trip here!)
Some perks common to the Mercedes program:
- Discount off the price of the car
- Paid transport from the airport
- Luxury hotel stay near the factory
- Breakfast and factory tour
- Lunch and tickets to the museum
- 2 weeks of auto insurance
- Full tank of gas
- Multiple drop off point options (not all in Germany – you can drive to other countries!)
For the most up-to-date info, check out the Mercedes USA website.
I loved the Mercedes program, but others do it too! Here is a list of some of the other auto companies that also have their own programs. Check them out because the terms are different for different brands.
For ideas on how to link a German car pick-up to a broader trip through the country, check out these articles for inspiration and ideas!
- Take my Advice: Plan a trip to Germany for the Fall
- Charming Germany Destinations: Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber
- Heidelberg: One of the Best Places to visit in Germany!
- The OTHER Oktoberfest in Germany: Cannstatter Volksfest